Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tread carefully in these woods

Sitting a moderately priced restaurant yesterday in a booth towards the
back, we are eating our dinner and generally not bothering anyone.
Sure, K doesn't always remember to use his "inside" voice, but he's 2
and still figuring out how much range he has.

So anyway, he gets a bit loud/over-excited and we remind him to speak
softer, etc. Out of the corner of my eye I notice an elderly woman flip
around in her chair to see what the ruckus was. Yes, it was a 2 year
old. Now I wouldn't be phased by this if she did it once or twice - but
this woman turned around fiercely in her chair to stare at us EACH AND
EVERY time K got a bit loud. Now mind you, he wasn't being Walmart
screaming his head off loud, just over-excited loud. Yes, there is a
difference.

Then when we left, K said loudly again "Time to go, Mommy" and as I was
getting up I noticed elderly man (sitting next to elderly woman) hold
his hands up to his ears (as if that would really help).
I didn't say anything to them but waited until we were out in the car to
vent. And now I'm doing it here. I'm so annoyed by people who act as
though having a young child makes us second-rate citizens; that children
should be seen and not heard, blah, blah f-itty blah, blah!! Seriously,
that's how those people made me feel - like we were such an impositionn
because we brought a 2 year old to dinner with us.

Soooo, ehhx-cuuuuuuuse meeeeeeee OLD PEOPLE!! Please forgive us for
daring to think we have the right to go outside the four walls of our
home with our son - what in the hell were we thinking!
Better yet, OLD PEOPLE, go p*ss up a rope! I'm through apologizing. K
is 2 and by god I'm going to let him be 2. Yes, I will be mindful of
his boundary testing, but I'm not going to force him to act "just so"
because other people / OLD PEOPLE can't accept the fact that he's 2! If
I can deal with his "fainting-goat" tantrums and uber-picky eating
habits - then everyone else can too!

On another note, I get an email from stuck-up relative that she didn't
invite us to her son's birthday party because they're just having a
small get-together in 7th-gateway-to-hell town. This is of course AFTER
THE FACT. Well exxxxx-cuuuuse us! Nothing like having our faces rubbed
in the dirt after the party happened....hell, we didn't even warrant an
email shunning before the party occurred.
Well, efff you too!

Hey, new daycare provider - yes, I do give my son juice and he does
watch tv! Ohhhh the humanity indeed! I like you, but don't push it
because I have no qualms about choosing someone else to keep a watchful
eye on K during the day. I'd prefer to not have to go through that
again, but I'm at that point. Oh, and keep in mind that this is MY
FIRST KID so I'm winging it here. I'm choosing my battles and figuring
out what lines are ok for K to cross and which ones aren't. I think I'm
entitled to a learning curve, not to mention that I'm NO WHERE CLOSE to
being the worst parent out there, so bat your disapproving "juice and tv"
eyes somewhere else.
****************
I'm done trying to keep up with making people happy. All I end up doing
is apologizing - my recent months have been one big sorry-fest and I'm
sick of it.
If I truly do something wrong, then yes, I will say "sorry". However if
it's because other people expect us to act a certain way, live in a
certain place, blah, blah....well, forget it. I'm through trying to
bend our lives around other people's expectations.

So there it is. Am I p*ssy? You bet. Tread carefully in these
woods........

3 comments:

DD said...

Even if he had been WalMart screaming, so what? Was this restaurant family-friendly (provide high-chairs/alternate menu)? Then that elderly couple would have no right to give you the evil-eye. Next time maybe she should just turn down her hearing aid.

Christy said...

Other people are annoying. I would have encouraged him to scream louder, just for spite.

Nico said...

I really like your new attitude. Live the way you want to, do what makes YOU happy, and if the fuckers don't like it - too damn bad!