Wednesday, February 6, 2008

airing dirty laundry

apparently i don't do anything right here (work) - or very few think so and they don't bother to speak up because pretty much all i hear are the things i do wrong.

i get interviews set up for other jobs but nothing seems to come of them - mainly because the pay range is much lower than what i'm making now (which isn't THAT much - hell, I'm below the industry average for this position so what's the fucking deal?!)

my mom is going through a rough time (unemployed since December, her room-mate is kicking her out at the end of this week, she just had knee surgery...) & i can't figure out if she's really trying to remedy the state she's in or if she's "winging it". we're trying to help as much as we can, but are limited. we live in a tiny 2 bedroom apartment so putting her up with us isn't an option. plus, we trek up 4 flights of stairs to get to our place. she wouldn't be able to do that with a bum knee. not to mention, situations like this can cause her to make somewhat desperate decisions and those never end well...never. supposedly she has friends who are helping her out but i worry that she'll take advantage of them. there's a long back story to this (like YEARS) but trust me, she's not up front about a lot of things.

the "kicker" is that above mother just emailed me and suggested that i should play the "race card" to get a job because my grandfather was/is hispanic. um, yeah.....NOT! seriously people, this is how she thinks - find a way to "cheat" the system and milk it for all its worth! WTFFF?!

thank you, but no thank you. i'll stick to being mrs. whitey mcwhiteypants and deal with the preconceived notion that all irish people are drunk potato farmers with fierce tempers and knocked up wives.

6 comments:

Em said...

Argh mate that all stinks, i dont have much to say other than i really think it can only get better.... your Mum sounds a barmy as my mum, i often wonder if my mum lives in the real world nevermind this planet! Really bad about her knee tho!

DD said...

I love when people note my very Irish last name and make a comment about how "Irish" I am.

Dude? Did you not notice how my name is MRS! which implies a marriage to someone with that name?

My maiden name? Gerkins

Very UN-Irish (and would probably get me just as far employment wise as my married name.

I hope things work out very soon for your Mom. She sounds like she's in quite a spot, but it would suck to put you in a similar spot by housing her.

Christy said...

Your mom sounds a lot like mine. Very frustrating.

Seriously S, just keep trying. I am positive that you will find an awesome new job.

SassyCupcakes said...

That sucks. Mum's are really something aren't they.

Rita said...

Me: Irish. DH: Chinese. Leads to: many interesting job interviews.
lol
first time here, not a lurker!
Rita

S said...

Welcome Rita!